After five too-short days in Paris, I’ve compiled a list of must-dos for you. Forget all those traditional sights. The real delight is in the quirky details. Because what vacation is complete without some quirk?
That’s what I thought.
Ready. Set. Your quirky (and tasty) Parisian to-do list:
1. Visit the Abercrombie store and stare shamelessly at the bouncers…err, models.
Yeah. The Abercrombie store in Paris hires their bouncers from a modeling agency.
2. Shop the sexy, crazy sex shops of Pigalle.
Where you can buy a bra made of candy, a striptease game, and poppers.
3. Visit the wall of love.
Love in every language possible.
4. Go to a bakery where everything is shaped like a penis.
This is in the gay/Jewish quarter. Can’t make this stuff up, people.
5. Eat perfectly prepared duck breast with a cherry wine reduction sauce.
And, of course, pair it with a perfect red wine.
6. Visit a flea market and consider purchasing a two-foot metal rooster.
Or maybe a pair of totally awesome steampunk-reminiscent shoes. (Yeah, I definitely wish I’d purchased those blue ones.)
7. Take photos of the butt in the wall.
8. Buy a bottle of Rhone wine from Caves de Abbess.
For serious, that stuff is made of magic.
9. Walk for six hours a day and then stuff your face with fancy desserts.
These two things cancel each other out.
10. Get kissed in front of the Eiffel Tower.
I didn’t do this one myself, but it does seem like a thing worth doing. Am I right? Obviously yes.
Go forth. Delight in the details.
|Going to Paris this year?
In my new, unconventional Paris guide, 10 chefs, wine experts, culture lovers, and locals will give you the inside scoop on where to go, what to eat, and how to fit in. Buy it now.